Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Big Dipper takes a downswing

Your days will be up and down, you'll feel like you're on a roller coaster, they said. Well, today was a down day. Woke up feeling knackered, looking haggard, with spinning head and wobbly legs. The kind of day you can't form words, a day you know you're going to have to write off. Tried a slice of toast, but it felt like eating an old flannel. Thank goodness for EnSure, milkshakey things from the doctor, sipped through a straw. Meal replacements, chew-free nourishment, easy to tolerate, quite tasty too.

Still, I feel as if a Sumo wrestler is clamped to my shoulders, so I'll say night-night.

2 comments:

paul said...

Hi Chrissie

I didn't realize you'd been blogging otherwise I'd have known some time before.

It's Weds today and you have your chemo I think so I hope it went OK and its ghastly effects will wear off sooner than you even hoped.

You probably won't get many comments as folks don't know what to say - I'm one of them too.

Courage, good days and much love to you -

Paul xxx

Chrissie said...

Hi Paul

I didn't get my chemo today (yippee! four weeks poison-free) as I've been referred for a CT scan to see if the chemo is actually doing anything. As my oncologist said, 'There's no point in giving you any more if all it's doing is making you ill.' So I have the scan in two weeks, then the following Wed 6 June, the dreaded appointment with the oncologist (sounds like Interview with the Vampire) which will pretty much dictate my future. Send me good vibes at 10am that day.

On the plus side (if there is one), I've had the buzzcut. Strange thing - my hair is simultaneously falling out leaving me with wispy chemo-fuzz, and growing back in giving me mini-stubble. So I had a number 2 clip which doesn't look too bad, just bad enough.

You're right about people not knowing what to say. Nothing will offend me though, and I think it's important to keep a sense of humour about the whole darn thing.

Thanks for your good wishes, Paul. (Are you one of the Pauls I know?)

Best
Chrissie xx