Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Clueless with Wireless - and CT sickness

‘It’s simple,’ said a friend. ‘All you need is a wireless router and ten, maybe twenty minutes tops, and you’re hot to trot.’ (‘Hot to trot’ is a phrase that’s been excised from my vocabulary. ‘Tepid to totter’ might be more appropriate.)

Ten minutes. That’s what the instructions said too. Who are they kidding? After several hours (including a nap) I was still struggling with jargon and thumping my forehead with a clenched fist. If I couldn’t even locate the ADSL configuration information or place the USB Adapter Cradle, how on earth was I going to connect the Ethernet cable?

I admitted defeat - why hadn’t I done that five hours ago? – and called in an expert who had everything up and running in half an hour. Still more than ten minutes, but no quibble. So here we are, wireless-enabled, with excellent signal strength, and feeling mighty damn smug and state-of-the-art.


If only the CT scan had gone as smoothly. I drank the horrid orangey stuff with the bitter aftertaste for an hour beforehand, undressed and donned a hospital issue dressing gown (not a good look, believe me), and lay on the couch while it moved within the scanner. At half-time I was injected with a contrast medium, a dye that shows up against the orange juice. It gave me a horrid metallic taste in the back of my throat and a warm feeling spreading beneath me, a bit like wetting the bed, only without the mess.

Then I disgraced myself by vomiting loudly, messily and copiously. Huh, typical!

Still, the scan is over. Just the results to look forward to next Wednesday. Send me good vibes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vibes of the best variety will be coming your way on Wednesday Chrissington. In fact, I will be sending the following vibes:

1) Good news for Chrissie-vibes
2) Turn Lucy into a vegetarian-vibes
3) Someone reinvent 'the horrid orangey stuff with strange after taste' to be 'I can't believe it's not chocolate Horlicks' - vibes
4) More good news for Chrissie-vibes.

See you soon matey

Gaily-Mae xxx

Susan Tranter said...

And consider some good vibes for tomorrow heading your way from Manchester too. We might be 'the wrong side o'the Pennines', but our vibes still count you know. x

Chrissie said...

Many thanks Gaily-Mae and Susan for your kind comments, also to everyone who's been kind enough to phone me (and probably don't know about this blog!).

Of course I'm nervous about the results but I'm trying to be chipper, surrounding myself with positivity and luvverly thoughts.

Now off for an early night.
Love
Chrissie xx